Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Motivation

Sometimes it's hard to force myself to get behind the sewing machine. There are too many books to read, too much housework to complete, and too many people around the house who demand attention (albeit in a kind manner). The surest way to motivate myself to get to work is to look at a looming deadline, and think of all the other things I'd rather be sewing! Such is the case right now. I need to be writing several pieces for a variety of uses, but I want to make summer things....white blouses, eyelet jackets, linen pants, silk dresses. Those will all be needed in the very near future, as the temperature is hovering around high amounts even this early.

What I need to do now is organize things. I know there are several white pieces in the pile, so I'll do them first. It makes sense to only thread the machines once and sew several pieces of the same color. That should put a dent in what needs to be done. White seems to be my "go to" color for summer. I have two or three white pieces that I wear constantly; a white linen jacket with a hood and pearl buttons that goes with everything. A white lace topper that pulls the simplest pieces together. A white embroidered spring coat that always lifts my spirits.

The new white pieces are as follows: eyelet, to be made into a shirt style/jacket/throwover piece that I can use as a third layer for pulling an outfit together......pique, to become a very casual 3/4 length jacket.....a tone-on-tone dotted jacquard to become a more dressy jacket....and assorted cottons and shirtings to make tops and shirts. I can also sew up a few of the jerseys and knits using cotton thread, as the primary color of these fabrics is white.

Somewhere in there I need to fit in a few pair of summer pants. Khaki......rust....navy.....I have the fabric, and I have the thread and notions and the patterns are fitted.

Time to get motivated.

No comments: