Saturday, March 10, 2007

Expo report

The last two days have been a whirlwind! I left early Thursday to attend the Atlanta Sewing Expo. This is the sewing highlight of my year; I get to visit with like-minded enthusiasts, do a bit a stash improvement, and fill my brain with inspiration. This year was not a disappointment.
I ran into several of my sewing buddies, internet-based and otherwise, and even met a student from one of my online classes (Hi, Pat!). Thursday night dinner with the internet sewing circle is a tradition, and we had a nice crowd at the restaurant this year.
The fabric selections this year were varied and interesting. There were hand-dyed silks and cottons, inexpensive designer end bolts, gorgeous woolens, and interesting knits. My favorites this year were the summer weights of silk; chiffons, georgettes, and lightweight crepe. I choose a nice balance of prints and solids.
There was a small booth, tucked away in the middle of things, with European laces. I almost missed this one! The proprietor is Dutch, and he travels around the world with these bargains. The laces are not scratchy like many of the fabric store laces we normally encounter. These were very soft and supple. The colors were mostly beige and white, but I did manage to find a coffee-on-black piece, a bright orange, and a burgundy.
So....next on my project list is to find space for all the loot!
Shannon

No comments: