Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Bag in progress

About five years ago, when Hot Patterns first introduced themselves, they made available a free bag pattern. The Nairobi bag pattern was inspired by a classic YSL bag, the Mombassa, and several who sew have made variations of this gorgeous piece.

My first version was made shortly after the pattern was released. I was inspired to adapt the beaded and embroidered version of the Mobassa for my own use; I was even able to purchase a comparable horn handle. That bag has received a lot of attention. I love, love, love carrying it, as the shape and size are perfect for me, and the horn handle sits perfectly on my shoulder.

But five years is a long life for any bag, even a custom-made version. So it was time to make a new version of the bag. I have tons of black bags in my collection, and I need something that can work with the browns and eggplants in my closet. There was already another horn handle in my stash, this one in ivory with a wrapped cord detail.

Yesterday, at a local thrift shop, I found exactly the right mix of materials. I found a pair of khaki green leather jeans and a suede skirt in the same exact color! These came home to be cannibalized for my new bag.

Here are the carcasses:



The only possibly usable piece of leather remaining is the patch pockets from the jeans. I used every square inch, even cutting off the belt loops to use along the edge of the purse.

Here is the purse in progress:



And the lining, in progress as well:



I made a couple of changes to the pattern, as you can see. A strip of leather is stitched to the top of the lining to act as a facing. This will also provide some strength for the closure I'm planning, a magnetic snap to be positioned in the point of the facing. I'm also planning a key hook, which I'll stitch to the inside of the side of the purse.

And wouldn't you know it? I have findings in gold and in bronze, but no silver. The opening in the horn handl is silver...so I need to get a magnetic snap, large O-rings from the hobby store, and some punched fleece or batting for the interior of the purse. Ah, well....off to the store I go:)

No comments: